View Single Post
Old
10-15-2011, 02:03 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Interesting that last part.

I've seen local rinks that are a sand box basically, maybe that's why. So the ice bonds better at the bottom. I thought it was a little odd, but it makes sense.
concrete works fine as long as you clean and prep the surface properly. when i was in prudential last year for one of their installs the jetice guys were very critical of the floor prep at the rock. most rinks are concrete floors, others that are more cheaply made use sand bottom with a roll out pvc type pipping and cover that in more sand. then the sand is wet as the brine is pumped through piping. the sand freezes to make the base and then you build ice on top. its a design that is much cheaper to pay for a build but its really a huge mess when you remove the ice or if a skate digs into the sand. also there is no underfloor heat so throughout the season the frost line will build and raise making the energy costs to cool the sheet increase

the nhl uses this and some different take on the concept for its outdoor games. someone in calgary got the great idea to use foam and aluminum under it to save some of the sand mess... as soon as they brought the zam out the aluminum of coarse flexed from the weight and the ice cracked. in buffalo for the first game they made a similar mistake and had issues as well. concrete floors are the way to go