Thread: the Habs' Swiss
View Single Post
Old
10-15-2011, 06:31 PM
torero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I think Switzerland still has a pretty big edge over Denmark but I get what you're saying. I have a feeling that the Swiss are going to be the next "top-tier" players. Currently we have Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic and Slovakia. I could see Switzerland joining the ranks soon enough.
Switzerland and Denmark have nothing to do.

Danemark has a small league and players are simply forced to emigrate ... . Ready to take on any salary.
The players are mostly the fruit of foreign institutions and training centers.

On the other side, Switzerland has a very decent league with great popular success. The biggest attendance in europe. Players have locally a very decent salary ... therefore the Swiss are not interested in coming and playing in AHL. Which is the whole point. Some would clearly be NHL level after 2 or 3 years ... ex: Streit. Decent player at home and it took him 2-3 years to become NHL decent ... 4-5 or even 6 years to become a good NHLer. With the risk of staying a 2nd tiers player ... while if they stay at home they have a very decent future with 75 games including playoffs per year and they sleep at home almost all nights ! cosy !
The Swiss teams have been improving a lot ... the last games with NHL teams were won by the swiss team ... Zurich beat the Blackhawks 2 years ago for the victoria cup 2-1 and this year Zug spanked the NYR 8-4 ... and it could have been 10 without problem. (on big ice ! the big players looked like heavy tanks or cows in the field !!)
For 2 years swiss young guns started emigrating ... so before 2009, you had 1 or 2 playing in CHL ...now you have between 6 and 8 per year. The country has opened to the world. (Weber was a front runner playing with the Kitchener Rangers)

Both countries are uncomparable.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote