Forwards giving defenceman stick
View Single Post
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Originally Posted by
When a defenceman loses his stick and a forward gives him his, is this a good idea? I see it done a lot, but i think sticks are much more useful to a forward than a defenceman in the defensive zone. Especially on the PK. Active sticks are key out high in the zone, in front of the net a defenceman should use their bodies more than their stick. Forwards also should try to get their stick in the way of shots, defenceman cant do this or they may cause a deflection in front. I just always thought it was a bad idea. Anybody else agree?
They do it for a reason (well, multiple)
- Dmen need to lift sticks out of the way to prevent deflections
- quickly clear pucks away form the crease/slot area
- block cross-crease passes
- poke check players in deep
- forwards shouldn't really try to get their sticks in the way of shots (shooting and passing lanes yes, but not shots) as deflections might occur and you could score on your own net
Am I missing anything?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by AIREAYE