View Single Post
Old
10-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You buy tickets to see the show. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't want to support them, don't. Your own example shows that when fans aren't happy, they stop spending money. If you're unhappy and you keep spending it, well that's your problem.
If it's "nothing more, nothing less", then why is this thread on its second incarnation? Why are so many people obsessing over the state of Andre Markov, rookies in Hamilton, our next coach, etc? Point is, the Montreal Canadiens are FAR more than the 'show'. Or, more accurately, the 'show' is far more than what happens on the ice.

Face it, the reason the organization has prospered even without a Cup is because it figured out how to sell itself as a culture. Before the mid-90s, all they had to do was win Stanley Cup after Stanley Cup. Then the well went dry and so did ticket sales. The on ice product -- the 'show' -- simply wasn't enough anymore because the team simply wasn't that good. So in comes the new admin and voila -- a new marketing philosophy. The Canadiens started marketing individual players, showing up on billboards, showing up at events -- the whole culture thing. And we, the fans, responded.

In fact, we responded so well that some people actually believe it's wrong to have expectations of the organization, that they don't owe us anything. You couldn't be more wrong. The Montreal Canadiens are a sports franchise that uses its rich history as a terrific marketing tool to keep us hooked. They need us more than we need them. See the Montreal Expos for further evidence.

Am I complaining about this manipulative relationship? No, because that's how business works. I'm happy to spend my money on tickets and don't feel used or betrayed -- as long as I'm entertained, which I have been for over 40 years. Please don't pretend that my questioning the brass means a lack of support. If being critical of management means a lack of support, then about 80% of the threads on this board are in the same boat. We've all bought into the hockey culture that exists on the ice, and off, and we're entitled to sound off anyway we want. We're all fans of the team... as long as the team is smart enough to be fans of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Then don't buy tickets anymore... there will be more for me to buy.

The object is to win games... if the team feels that there is an advantage in not letting your opponents know the exact injury status of players (and tons of teams believe this) so be it.
The first part of your answer is childish.

The second part misses my point. I'm not personally miffed at the organization, I'm just stating the reason why so many people here keep harping on this subject. Look at the number of posts on Markov and ask yourself why so many fans are frustrated and distrustful. The reason, I think, is because the team has created the idea that the team is 'ours', but then goes dark about its biggest star. I tried to explain why you can't consciously create the most loyal fanbase in the league and then withhold information from it. It's a tricky contradiction that can bite you in the ass.

Last edited by overlords: 10-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.