View Single Post
Old
10-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Surprised nobody came around with the "But he is the one that got us Cammy and Gionta" crap...

To answer your question, wasn't good then, still not good now, will not be good in the future. You've got yourself a great useful player in McDonagh. I guess it's payback time....word is that you had a choice between Balej, Marcel Hossa and a certain Tomas Plekanec in exchange for Kovalev....and you chose Balej. Gainey might have thought we owed you one...That's your Montreal Canadiens for you, always willing to help. Any interest in PK Subban? He's struggling and we need some vet presence....how about that Wade Redden? Isn't he any good?

It's not crap.

He DID help us land Cammy and especially Gio.
He gave us 2 top centers(at the time) that players coming in, knew would get them the puck with at least some consistency. More importantly, it gave us twice as many top centers as the team we were directly competing against for their services, namely the Laughs.

Call it crap all you want but it WAS a factor. I liked McD as well for the future but certainly not over either one of or even both of Cammy and Gio.

We knew going forward that Gomez wasn't going to live up to his salary but he did a pretty good job in year 1 with 59 points. It's just a shame his 38 points last season was so bad.
If he gets back up to around 50 points or more and then we buy him out in the summer, I can live with that, all things considered.
It's not like we had any other playmaking centers knocking on the door 2 years ago. That didn't even happen until late last season with Desharnais and Eller finally looking like possibilities soon.

We can argue over just how much of a factor Gomez was in getting Cammy and Gio all you want but arguing that he wasn't a factor at all is simply not an option.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 10-17-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote