View Single Post
Old
10-27-2003, 11:54 PM
riz

vCash: 500
Reading the thread again this morning and I'm still wondering:

If Sather has rebuilt the farm system and we have a boat-load of great prospects with the Wolfpack (yes, I know we have some nice prospects there that might turn out well), then how do you explain that when Lindros goes down we do not call up a kid to get some experience and rather sign a 30 something journeyman ?

Look at other more established (read: have been in the playoffs lately) teams in the league and you'll see rookies in the opening night lineup. And not because of injuries but because they are given a chance to prove themselves and to get some NHL experience. And hey, if they make mistakes they'll atleast provide some youthful jump to the lineup.
How many rookies have the Rangers dressed this year ?

It doesn't mean a thing if we have talented prospects if we are unwilling to give them a chance. During the Neil Smith era, we had decent prospects in the system but they we're traded away. During the Sather era, we've also had some decent prospects in the system but how many have we actually given a chance at the NHL level ? And how many have we given the chance only to showcase them and then trade them away ?

We've seen this team do the exact same things over the past three years where they show up against top teams only to pull a disappearing act in the next game agains a bottom feeder. What this team needs to show is some consistency before I start believing that they are turning the corner.

But hey, if our longest winning streak last season was three games I can't blame so of you guys being so joyful over a two game winning streak this early in the season