10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...inst-senators/

Quote:
Bobrovsky Gets The Nod Against Senators
Sergei Bobrovsky has manned the bench for Ilya Bryzgalov through the first four games. The second-year goalie was phenomenal in the preseason.

Quietly, patiently, Sergei Bobrovsky has waited his turn. On Tuesday he will get his first start of the season against the Ottawa Senators, Peter Laviolette announced. He will face Ottawa backup Alex Auld according to the Ottawa Citizen.

The Flyers however, don’t look at the 23-year-old as a backup to Ilya Bryzgalov statistically speaking. In terms of the numbers they can post, they look at the tandem as 1 and 1a. In the preseason, “Bob” was lights out, allowing one goal in three games. But Bryzgalov is expected to carry a heavy load, so how does Laviolette know when to put Bobrovsky in?

“I think you just look at the calendar and you find time and spots,” said Laviolette after Monday’s practice. “He had a great training camp. Both goaltenders have played very well. At some point we’ll get him going.”

That point is now against a team that has limped out of the gate with a 1-4-0 start in its first five games.

“I’m ready for every game,” said Bobrovsky who added that he had stayed sharp with, “just hard work and that’s it. Keep honest.”

For those that remain from last year’s roster, playing in front of Bobrovsky is nothing new. He had a 28-13-8 record in his rookie year. Despite those who say the Flyers actually play better in front of Bobrovsky, Matt Carle says it doesn’t matter who’s between the pipes.

“With as many goaltending changes as we’ve had over the last few years I think if anything we’ve learned to deal with multiple guys back there,” said Carle. “The two guys we have now we have all the confidence in the world in and I think there were times last year where Bob probably played a little too much.

“I think when he gets in there now, you know he’s gonna be focused 100 percent on whatever game he gets the chance to play in and the same with Bryz. Bryz is an All-Star goalie in this league and we have all the confidence in the world in both of them.”

Bobrovsky has been working on his English, but says he didn’t take classes. He learned by watching TV and talking to his teammates in the locker room. But whether he’s chatting or practicing, it’s clear the work ethic is there for Bobrovsky to not only improve with the native tongue, but to stay sharp on the ice.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote