View Single Post
Old
10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

vCash: 500
You're getting good advice here, but you will only learn by trial & error and will probably make some mistakes. Probably a lot of mistakes.

When you move from forward to defense, it's like you are playing a whole different sport. Well, almost.

When I fist started playing, I wanted to play D but they wouldn't let me because they said, "you need to be a good skater forward, backwards & laterally to play D". I thought I was good, but my backwards stride was slow.

I used it as a challenge and went to public skating sessions to work on defensive-specific skating and it helped a lot. I can't stress how different your skating will be when you compare it to the way you have skated as a forward. If you already are or become a good skater, you will be a good defenseman.

You need to learn when to make your move, how to guide a player to the outside, whether it is beneficial to block a shot or not, wheteher to go down or not, lay your stick across the ice to block a pass etc. The only way you will learn how to do these things is by actually playing and seeing what you feel comfortable with and by asking a fellow Dman.

Most people who I see who play defense are just forwards who get pushed back to D and have no idea what they are doing and always vacate the point and I am stuck being the only person playing D.

I guess it's who you play with.

Good luck. Playing D is so f'ing awesome. I would NEVER go back to forward.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote