View Single Post
Old
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Why the hell would you WANT the Habs to tank? That would mean a full year of sucking just to get a player who could POSSIBLY be very successful and even then we have to wait three years for that player to develop, so that's almost four years of sucking because you think tanking is a valid option. Not only that, but we actually have A GOOD TEAM which has been improving every year, going from 8th place to 6th place last year, including a promising young core which would pretty much go to waste if we tanked for years just for the possibility of getting ONE good player...

It is the most ridiculous proposal you can make as a fan of a hockey team. If you think it's a good idea, just please do us all a favor and stop being a fan of this team. If the Montreal Canadiens, the most historic and successful franchise in hockey history EVER decided to tank, it would be a disgrace. I hope it never comes to that.
I'm not convinced we ice a good team now. I'll hold my final decision until both Cammalleri and Markov are back into play. If we still suck with Cammalleri and Markov, then I'd really say that tanking is better than any other option out there, no matter how much of a disgrace we would be. If we happen to win a Cup after a season's worth of tanking (and without having to trade anyone away except maybe Gomez, Gill or Spacek) we will be no different from Chicago, the last O6 team that successfully tanked on purpose. But, with the parity that currently prevails in the league, we really need not do that much to tank.

One of the Habs legends from the 1970s was obtained not through a tanking attempt of our own but with a first-rounder acquired from a team that sucked in our stead.