Old
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
How has Dumba's defense been this year?

If he can show he's a steady D-man, and add his playing style, I see no reason he can't be a top-5 pick.

I still think Yakupov is #1 though.
If you want steady, solid all-around, and knowing what you'll get, it's Ryan Murray.

If you want standout, highly entertaining, home run or strikeout - it's Matthew Dumba.

Personally, I think Murray is so far ahead that it's become a bit unfair for him - people are starting to nit-pick at his game and pick him apart, much the same as John Tavares got in his draft year. Honestly, I think Ryan Murray is the best defense prospect I've ever seen in the WHL ... a league I've been following and scouting for nearly 10 full years. He's very good in all three zones, and doesn't appear to have any real weaknesses. He was his team's captain as a 17 year old, and has future NHL captain written all over him. I think this guy will be a legit franchise defenseman.

I won't say that Dumba cannot be all of these things, but I certainly think he's a bit of a raw project at this point. Dumba's flair and skill are certainly going to draw more attention (especially being on a better team, in a better hockey market), but I'd be lying if I said Dumba doesn't miss more of those big open ice hits than he lands, and that he often makes poor decisions and leaves himself out of position. I'm a big fan of Dumba, don't get me wrong - but if I'm building a franchise from the ground up, starting with a defenseman ... it's Ryan Murray, and it's not even close.

Matt Dumba reminds me a lot of PK Subban. Ryan Murray reminds me a lot of Ryan Suter, but with more offensive upside.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote