Old
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Free things are good, but good luck with that cigarette smell. Good luck pooping, too.
We aren't moving in until after everything is fixed (I live in PA until May and my wife is moving back when she gets a job in NJ) so by the time we are there the pooping issue will be taken care of. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
The two highlighted things alone would scare me off of offering on a house. ESPECIALLY the first one. I hope you had a really, really, really good home inspection/specifically checked the structural issues. Termites terrify me after what happened to some close friends of my parents in FL (house got condemned, still battling the pest control company AFAIK 5 years later).
The area we live in the inspector told us that there is basically no house without termite damage because of the area we are in (South Jersey Pine Barrens near the shore with sandy damp soil). We have to replace the sills between the foundation and insulate the crawl space, which is the exact same thing my parents have had to do with the three houses they bought in the area since I was a kid. The cigarette smoke is pretty bad, but for the price we got, we can live with it. I'm not going to get into details about costs and such, but the house is about $100k less than other houses of similar size in the area and with all the estimates that we've gotten we can afford the repairs. Luckily we know a lot of people who own construction, heating, plumbing, etc companies in the area so we are getting deals on everything and we'll be painting the house (and trying to get the smell out) ourselves.