View Single Post
Old
10-28-2003, 09:44 AM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

vCash: 500
There is a tier to Gaborik's bonus money (ala Dupuis contract). He can hit lower numbers and still get bonus money, albeit only 250K for 40 goals or 80 points (the 80 assists had to be a misprint). And there are tier's between that and the full 1.7mil for hitting the 60g or 110pt mark.

Although personally think the bonus numbers/money could use some creative adjustment, I don't see why it's so unrealistic to think Gaborik shouldn't be able to get some bonus money.

He was on pace for over 50 goals before he hit his horrendous slump. Moreover, if he is such a great player, then there is no reason to believe he can't get some decently high numbers. Look at the Heatley's, Kovalchuck's, Hossa's, Thornton's, etc. These are supposed to be comparable players talent wise (2 in their first contract, two in their 2nd), and they have/are racking up the points. Gaborik would already be making more than the likes of similar players (age/talent) who are outscoring him. Does it not make sense for him to have to equal their numbers to make additional funds (i.e. to be overpayed even more)?

As far as Dupuis contract goes, I believe the Wild had bonus money in their original deal(s)s for Dupuis as well. It is unclear if the bonus clause was similar to the one in the contract he signed or not. I'm not saying it was the same, because there is a good chance that it wasn't, but I don't think we know for sure either.

Edit: Please note, I want to make it perfectly clear that I have nothing against Gaborik or Wild Management. In this instance I happen to agree with the Wild, but I fully respect both sides. Gaborik has every right to stand firm with his beliefs as do the Wild. In the end, neither party will win.