View Single Post
Old
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Most of the coaches in the league are all about their players blocking shots....many of the fans love to see that too.

I'm not one of those fans.

Who expects their teams goalie to score goals? Goalies are protected from head to toe to do a job, which is stopping pucks.

If goalies aren't expected to score goals, why are skaters expected to stop pucks?

All it leads to is injuries.
A lot of teams don't expect their goalies to score goals, but they do expect them to reliably distribute dumped pucks to the defense men quickly to facilitate a quick transition. In short, everybody's job is to do everything they can to help a team win, with no exceptions. Kimmo is doing, and does, a bang-up job.

Blocking shots leads to injuries, and less goals against. It also promotes a culture of doing anything to win, camaraderie and sacrifice . . . champion type ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I get the importance of blocking shots but it needs to be done correctly. Remaining on your skates and getting in the shooting lanes is one thing.....laying out on the ice to block a shot is another.

It's not like there is some joke in net who needs to get bailed out by his players every game. The team went out and got the best goalie available in the off season, he is more than capable of stopping those shots without getting injured.
The correct way to block a shot is however the hell you can get to it. He got to it. What's more, this was not a shot he blocked that wasn't a high percentage scoring chance. He didn't dive head first in front of a wrister from the point, it was a one timer from the slot if I recall.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 10-21-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: I expounded on a point.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote