View Single Post
Old
10-21-2011, 02:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I think Philly needs another teardown. How can they sign Vokoun for 1.1M a year and Bryz costs us massive pain. This team cannot beat the capitals.
I don't think a tear down is required. There's still a boat load of talent in Philadelphia. The goaltending is superb, the defense is probably one of the best 1 through 6 in the league and the fact that we have essentially 11 forwards competing for the top nine is the kind of depth most teams dream of.

The problem that I see is that there's a degree of distrust in terms of using first year players in prominent roles and not having the right kind of veteran to fill a role (i.e. you would never catch Laviolette using Briere in a checking role, yet with the amount of ice time Couturier was given, there still seems to be a hint of uncertainty with regards to using a first year player as a checking center).

Another problem that I see is that management and coaching staff have their favourites who can do no wrong. Players need to earn their time. I've never been a fan of the notion that a veteran will always be given the benefit of the doubt because they've been there before. As we've seen with a guy like Hartnell, you just never know what you're going to get with him. He'll have games were he's brilliant, then he'll have games where he has immense brain farts, yet he still continues to get ice time. As an 11 year player, you'd think that he's finally figured out what he needs to do to be successful, yet he still does the same stupid things. People call him a warrior. Well, he's not a warrior - he's an idiot. It's clear his Hockey IQ is incredibly low and he's benefitted from playing with superior linemates that make him look better than what he really is. Personally, I'd love to see a guy like Nodl get put on the wing in Hartnell's spot and Hartnell having to earn and prove himself over again. If he can't, he's gone. That's the mentality that needs to take over.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote