View Single Post
Old
10-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Entirely false. Most companies and corporations will say that their clients are part of the 'family'. It would be bad for business to say otherwise (they might think otherwise though, but will never say it out loud).
Some companies have made the psychology of exclusivity very profitable and a central feature of their business model. Think Costco. You have to pay a membership fee to be part of a community that is given "exclusive access" to products that are widely available everywhere. Costco was born from Price Club, a brand that sold memberships initially to government workers, teachers, and certain professionals. Once that took off and the air of prestige was attached to the membership, Costco opened membership up to the masses who clamoured to be a part of the exclusive group. Costco is founded on psychology and nothing more innovative than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
One thing that got hugely overlooked in this thread is that the 'we' is not only a referal to the team, but to the community of fans. We are together cheering for our team. When we say 'we', it's not just the team, but the fans too. It's not just me and the team, and it's we and the team.

And that bit about self-esteem made me laugh. My self-esteem comes from my ability to adapt and learn and to get through adversity. Hockey is friggin trivial. If anyone is getting their self-esteem from a pro sports team, they probably do not have a strong will and like someone else said, it's a minority, not the majority, and it's a weak generalization, a catch all response that is missing a whole lot of insight into the personal reasons as to why each individual associate themselves with their favorite team in this manner. For me, it's my family, everyone said "we" when speaking of the Habs when I was growing up. Nurture, not nature. I only use we because of the emotional attachment (Habs were bigger than religion in my family) and I use it even when we lose
The fact that your family purposely taught you this trait is proof that it's founded in nature and not in nurture. Obviously making associations with more powerful groups has historically had advantages that was rewarded by evolution.

Last edited by Agnostic: 10-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote