Old
10-28-2003, 12:41 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
For once, LMHF #1, you and I are completely in agreement. A team as good as the Oilers are should NEVER tank a season. maybe if you were Pittsburgh, it would be tempting to tank the last month. But considering the Oilers who finished last year with 90 pts and was top 8 in the ultra competitive Western Division this is YET another example of fan panicking and stampeding!

Firstly, the Oilers owe it to the season ticket holders and even the non-ticket holding fans that they put the best product forward. They are professionals and I expect them to act that way.

Secondly, even if we did finish last, there's no guarantee we get Ovechkin with the draft lottery structured.

Lastly, so bloody what if Ovechkin is the next big thing since sliced bread? HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THE SCOUTS BEEN WRONG? Let's see, Lindros was the next coming, such that Philly gave up on Forsberg, Hextall, and half a dozen players to get him. Nowadays, people wouldn't trade Lindros for Forsberg straight up! Then there was Daigle. Or how about DiPietro, how many games has he won? Bonsignore was drafted 4th overall and was a complete bust. other high draft picks (I.e. top 5), Aki Berg, Chad Kilger, Pavel Brendl, Aaron Ward, Chris Gratton...
None of them are as impressive as Ovechkin with the exception of Lindros, and the only reason his value i low is because he has concusion problems and it changed the type of player he is.

To list Dipietro has a bust is VERY VERY premature as well. He is playing great in long island right now - and all he needed was some time.