View Single Post
Old
10-23-2011, 11:00 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Regina selects 4th line center Earl Ingarfield.

- 5'11", 185 lbs
- Placed 15th, 25th, 38th in scoring
- Placed 14th, 25th, 27th, 31st, 32nd in ES scoring
- Best percentages by seventies system: 68, 58, 53, 46, 44, 43, 43
- Post-expansion, killed 42% of penalties for his teams

with 527 NHL games as of expansion, Ingarfield is 2nd in GP among available players as of that point. He finished with 746, scoring 405 points in this tight era. Ingarfield was a utility/checking player with the Rangers before getting the chance to play with Prentice and Bathgate for a few seasons. He then centered Marshall and Fonteyne for a while, forming a formidable trio.

After expansion, Ingarfield played a season in Pittsburgh before going to Oakland and being the Seals' Mr. Everything. In the 1968, 69, and 70 seasons Ingarfield averaged over 20 minutes per game for them, had the 3rd-most points per game after Ted Hampson and Bill Hicke, and his -16 was easily the 2nd-best among the 15 players who played at least 100 combined games those three seasons. Ingarfield was seen as a leader by his teammates in Oakland, was their top PK forward and even played some point on the PP.

Ingarfield was described as a very versatile player, a graceful skater with a good shot. Although he has experience as a checker and penalty killer, he was considered more of a finesse player. I realize he's not the prototypical 4th liner but his defense is a plus and he's well insulated between two very physical wingers. He just seemed like a real good guy to have around, and I couldn't pass him up and risk seeing him fall past this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Centre Earl Ingarfield was a consistent centre who possessed good speed and a decent shot. He was respected wherever he played for his work ethic and dedication to team play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Throughout the 1960's, the highlights for the New York Rangers and their fans were few and far between. However one player who everyone appreciated was Earl Ingarfield.

Earl was definitely not considered to be a star hockey player by most standards, but rather a spirited and determined journeyman who did his job very well although virtually unnoticed. Only three times did the underrated Earl score more than 20 goals, yet he was known for his graceful skating and a booming shot.

After completing junior hockey for his hometown Lethbridge Native Sons, Earl turned pro in 1954, playing just two games for Vancouver of the WHL. However he soon put together 3 successful years under his belt and earned a trial with the New York Rangers in 1958. For the first two years in NY he saw little ice time, but by 1960 the soft spoken Earl made the team permanently, notching 13 goals in 66 games.

The following season, he enjoyed his best season as a pro, scoring 26 goals, 31 assists and 57 points while playing a full 70 game schedule.

Earl often played center with Andy Bathgate on the right side and Dean Prentice on the left. The 1962 playoffs against Toronto really defined Earl's career. With Earl in the lineup the Rangers were on the verge of upsetting the heavily favored Leafs. However Earl got knocked out of the series with a serious injury. The result was disastrous for the Rangers, who ended up losing the series. New York newspapers quickly immortalized Earl by criticizing the Rangers play minus Earl.

Earl remained on Broadway until the beginning of 1967-68. The Pittsburgh Penguins took the veteran forward in the first ever expansion draft. Earl played a year and a half in "Steeltown" before a trade to the west coast. Earl eventually finished his career in usual anonymity in Oakland, but did in 54 games have a 21 goal, 45 point year in 1969. He retired in 1971.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 Ranger Greats
the position opened was center ice between Andy bathgate and Dean Prentice, an enviable assignment indeed that fell to Earl Ingarfield, who had been with the team for two seasons, mostly in a utility role as a checking forward...

the trade of Prentice ended Ingarfield's dream assignment, but he remained an effective Blueshirt for four more seasons, mostly on a line with Val Fonteyne and Donnie Marshall, uniting three of that era's premier checking forwards.

"I loved playing with Andy and Dean, don't get me wrong. But whether you're on the first line or the third line, your main focus is to help the team." That he did in spares, notching 62 goals over the next 4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthanded: The Untold Story of the Seals
Due to injuries to Seals players, Ingarfield played all three forward positions at various times. He also played the point on the power play. "He has stepped in and done an outstanding job in every place we've needed him," Seals coach Fred Glover said at the time. "That's because he's a first class professional with top NHL ability." To Glover, the acquisition of Ingarfield was one of the keys to the Seals 2nd place finish in 1969. "There was something different about him and something special. He changed our team the second half of the season."

Ingarfield's torrid pace continued into the postseason. In the 7-game series with the Kings, he led all Seals with 4 goals and 10 points.

Ingarfield described himself on the ice by saying, "I had good hockey sense and saw the ice well. I could skate fairly well and I guess I scored my share of goals. I put the team before individual goals. I respected my teammates and I'd like to think they respected me. I could check and play defense as well as offense."

For his teammates, Ingarfield provided leadership... Gary Smith described what Ingarfield was like as a teammate. "He was a real professional and a great guy. He brought a lot of experience to the team and took care of the younger players." That was Earl Ingarfield, a true professional.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-30-2011 at 04:00 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote