Old
10-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hey I'm certainly not saying he couldn't have signed here, but there is no reason to act as if it is a foregone conclusion. Maybe he would have accepted a $4 million offer. Or maybe he wanted to play for Washington because he doesn't care about money all he wants is a Cup and he thinks the Caps have the best shot (that's pretty much what he said in his interview). Or perhaps the Flyers thought Bryz is a better goalie and a $2.5 million difference in cap hit (assuming they were going to offer around $4 million) is worth it for the better goalie. Maybe if they go into free agency and neither are signed there is a bidding war for one or both with a different team and wind up giving the same contract to Bryz or overpaying for Vokoun. Maybe they straight up had no interest in Vokoun. Don't act like this is a simple thing and they "botched" it by not getting Vokoun. There is a lot more at play than just "Well he accepted $1.5 to play in Washington so he would have signed here."
I have a strong feeling that people will wish we had gone the vokoun route when bryz is 37.

AS For him wanting to play for the caps, who's to say that isn't a lot of fluff for the media? The bidding war scenario is pretty pointless as well, since it flat out didn't happen. The fact remains: we predicted vokoun could be had for a better contract, and that's what happened.