View Single Post
Old
10-28-2003, 04:51 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Roy is one if not the best goalie of all time. But like someone said, he turned his back on us, and he doesn't deserve to be next to the names of players like Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau... those players played here in Montreal and loved being here, he didn't want to be here, therefore I don't think he deserves to be named with those players.

Roy's jersey will be retired WAYYYYYY before that of Dryden. Not EVEN in the same league.

Patrick was a pionneer in the hockey world. His style of play has been modeled by hundreds, if not thousands of goalies since. His presence has brought back the pride in goaltending at the minor league level. Before him, kids in the nets were the most awful skaters, most awful forwards in hockey. NO ONE wanted the job. Then, Patrick came. Since then, it has been incredible.

In this province, his influence on hockey has been as great as that of Rocket Richard. My kid plays at the novice level and you cannot believe the quality of goaltending and teaching there is. The best hockey players coming from this province are now between the pipes. Dryden had NO influence at all. He was good, no question. I've seen him play. I was a goalie and he was my model. But Roy changed everything. His performance against the Rangers in 1986 has been unmatched ANYFREAKINGWHERE. Those who had the privilege of watching that game can attest to the incredible performance he gave. I had shivers, I recall.

Roy is and will always be a Canadien. No matter what. The Avalanche is an anomaly. It's a team with no tradition. That will probably disappear in smokes when this crop of excellent players give way to some basement-quality others.