View Single Post
Old
10-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Shizuka

vCash: 500
I don't understand all of this talk...

... Atlanta, for the moment, has no need or reason to trade. They are tops in the East, they have a season long motivating factor (dedicated the season to Dan Snyder) and frankly, from a player perspective, I cannot imagine a Thrasher wanting to leave that and come play for us here. Why shake up their team chemistry like that? Secondly, Lowe has already said he wants to trade for an immediate impact player (i.e. top 6 forward, top 2/3 D-man) and Coburn / Stefan does not address that. Stefan is still a project, at best, because he has not put up anywhere near the numbers expected.

Lowe is doing the right thing in waiting, seeing what shakes out in the early part of the season. There is a dearth of willingness on the GM side to trade away said top 6 forward or top two D, naturally. In Comrie, you receive a proven commodity. Atlanta as a destination does not make sense to me, considering how well things are going at the moment and other extenuating circumstances surrounding that particular team. Maybe it comes from reluctance on receiving just Stefan in return, but then again I've not seen him play enough to warrant any kind of reasonable doubt in regards to his potential. Coburn is not going to step in and make any immediate impact however, so in the end you are looking at just Stefan as the returning player. If the Oilers were playing well, then I could see Lowe looking at top end prospects in return. I expect Lowe will wait to see if the guys turn it around first, and then deal from a much stronger position.

Thanks for posting the rumour though! Always interesting reading.