Old
11-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylover
Thanks for everyone's contribution!

Tonight this ball hockey team started its second season. A few guys have decided not to join the team again, but we had a few new guys who accepted to take their place. We were completely beaten up in our defensive zone. We lost 6 to 3, which is not so bad. The other team were doing great passes, which we are not yet able to do. That's the difference.

A few guys got me when they made a series of moves in front of me. When they went to my left, I was going left, they then turned right, then I went right. After a few seconds, I was dizzy and they passed by me quite easily and rushed to the net. Is it because I follow the ball too much? Should not I go on him, forget about the ball, put myself in his way, and hold his stick a bit? Thanks in advance.
I play a lot ball hockey too, and there are always those guys with a dozen different moves and dekes. You're right though, when you know a guy has that kind of skill, just forget about the puck. It's non contact, so you can't hit him, but just keep your body between his body and the net and your stick on the ground in front of him. Odds are he'll continue to work his way down the side, but before he knows it, he'll be behind the net and forced to pass, or will have coughed up the puck making one too many moves. and go for the stick. It's a lot easier to knock his stick off the ball than to knock the ball of his stick.

What Crossroads said above about passing lanes is spot on. When your man doesn't have the ball, think about the lanes between him and the ball. Keep something in that lane, whether, it's your body or your stick and if the pass comes his way you can cut it off. If the pass gets through you, try to put your stick in front of his to block the shot or if you're too far away and brave you can drop sideways to one knee to block it with your body. Dropping low helps make you bigger in the shot lane, as well as helps your goalie see around you so you don't screen him.

/edit: Oh yeah, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: TALK. Let forwards know who is open when the defense sneaks in from the point, make sure you know who your partner has and that he knows who you have. Talk to your goalie too, or at least, make sure they talk to you. Goalies have a different view of the ice than you, and can help make sure you're not leaving someone open and can let you know that you're screening them.

Last edited by Seph: 11-03-2005 at 11:41 AM.