View Single Post
Old
10-25-2011, 06:52 AM
BluelineHammer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesford2457 View Post
SHOW ME RIGHT ******* NOW ON USA HOCKEY.COM WHERE IT SAYS ANY REF IN ANY LEAGUE SHOULD NOT BREAK UP A FIGHT!!!! THEN TURN YOUR ATTENTION TO MY PREVIOUS COMMENT ON HOW THEY GET PAID TO BE THERE.
A little bit of web rage you think?

I think it's not as black and white as just staying out of it for a ref. If a fight breaks out and guys are throwing punches, I'd want to stay out of it as well, and they should. There is no reason why a ref should have to step into a fight to try to break it up. The two guys throwing are being morons, let their team mates break them up. BUT I will say this: fights rarely just happen out of the blue, they happen for a reason. Guys get chippy and rough before they get to dropping gloves. Sometimes there is history between players or team that might lead them to a fight. It IS the refs job to control the two of them before it gets to a fight. If guys are getting very physical and chippy and you see things possibly escalating then as a ref you need to blow the whistle and step in there and send both of them off to cool down, as well as remind them to back off of each other and tell them that you will not tollerate what they are doing. It is a refs job to have control of the game, and if you notice that things are getting ab bit out of hand, then it is your job to step in before a fight breaks out.