View Single Post
Old
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Palinka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
In Sweden, coming into this draft year there was a lot of talk about Filip Forsberg. But the big hype now is for the latest Djurgården prospect (they produced Zibanejad last year) - Pontus Åberg. He's practically leading his SEL team in scoring as an 18 year old.

Åberg plays a similar game as Zibanejad, but has better hands, shot and scoring touch.
I saw him a bit last year at the Hlinka tournament. Actually, he was impossible not to notice. As a rule, I don't put a heck of a lot of stock into a short tournament, but he was impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley Poodlehead View Post
The best way to build a contender is to go for complete ineptitude for 3-4 years and get top three picks a la Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago. John Buccigross wrote in one of his columns around 6-7 years ago is that by having a moderately successful (by expansion standards) first season they robbed themselves of a blue chip prospect in the second season.

With that being said, I would hate to see our arena with smaller than Chill crowds if they do take that course.
The 2001 was a pretty weak one as a whole, with the only franchise-type players being #1 (Kovalchuk) and #2 (Spezza).

If you want to get into what's robbed the team of a blue chip prospect, losing the coin flip in 2000 is a good place to start. Or Mike Milbury losing his mind, which stuck the Jackets with Klesla instead of Gaborik, is another place. Or not having any type of vision in 2003....or 2004....or 2005.