Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Lady View Post
Me whatever, how bout these then:

Orlando Eagles
Orlando IceCats
Orlando Firebirds
Eagles could be appropriate, as Florida has the 2nd largest population of bald eagles in the US. However, we've been beaten by the Colorado Eagles, now an active member of the ECHL.

Worcester IceCats, the former AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues, who played their last game in 2005. There's a potential issue with the Panthers, implying an affiliation that may not be there. Personally, I'm not a fan of any name that has 'ice' in front of it. Sounds bush league, IMO.

Firebirds seems to be available, but I'd rather be the Thunderbirds. Firebirds inevitably get linked to the phoenix, and the American west, which doesn't seem to Orlando-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJimm View Post
I just can't see the reasoning behind Tampa wanting a AA franchise so far away from their AAA team but you never know.
Wheeling had the Thunderbirds when the E started back in 88 so I think that would be out. Houston in the AFL had the Thunderbears back in the 90's for a few years. It was a horrible logo.
I'd be okay with Thunderbirds being out. I'm not exactly crazy about the name, since it's so associated with a car (also like Firebird), and Thunderbirds in particular has this 40's-50's 'OMG! The Soviets are going to kill us all!' type feel.

As for the NHL-AAA-AA distance, see TB-Norfolk-Estero (Everblades) or Winnipeg-St. John's (NFL)-Colorado or NYR-Connecticut-Greenville (SC)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-25-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote