View Single Post
Old
10-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Nikita Filatov and John Moore don't give me warm fuzzies about Howson's drafting skills. People like Palinka are left to pick nits with regards to Cam Fowler...while ignoring entirely that Howson was desperately trying to trade back into the first round so that he could draft him. But hey, Howson's done a swell job of finding bottom pairing defensive prospects and bottom 6 forwards to overpay for years to come.
They can't all be gems - even Chicago drafted Kyle Beach and Cam Barker. In drafting guys like Ryan Johansen when everyone in the world was screaming "Cam Fowler" at him, it's obvious that Scott's team has a flair for scouting. Johansen quickly became one of the top prospects in hockey, and has been on an upswing since. Sure, Cam Fowler had a good rookie year ... but we weren't the only team that passed him up for prospects "rated lower" than he was. I also loved the pick of Boone Jenner this year.

That being said, there are some question mark picks also. Not as bad as the McLean era, for sure ... but I will always question picking Dalton Smith when Alex Petrovic was still on the board. Perhaps it will work out - but Petrovic could be a top-4 defenseman in the NHL...something this franchise has always struggled with having.