View Single Post
Old
10-26-2011, 01:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
That's what Lundqvist has been taught to do since he came to the Rangers.
I don't think the Rangers encouraged him to play that style, he brought that with him when he came over to NA... That's not Allaire's school of thought... If anything I think the Rangers have tried to work with Lundqvist to tweak his game to adjust to the NHL style game... If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that he developed this style of play on the larger olympic size rinks.... There's much more lateral passing, more open style of play, and less traffic on the larger rinks... A goaltender who comes out a lot and really cuts down the shooter's angles, puts himself at a disadvantage on the larger ice surfaces because of all the open space and potential for lateral movement of the puck... Being too aggressive could lead to too much scrambling to get back into position (particularly prone to cross ice one-timers)... I believe it was the exhibition game in Switzerland where we saw the opposing team really zig-zagging the puck across the offensive zone off their rushes, which really gives you an idea of how they can play the game a little bit different overseas..... Henke seems to like to maintain his position in net so he's in a better position to react and adjust to deflections and passes across the ice... Obviously the increased reaction time on shots is also a motivation for playing that style... He's definitely not one of those goaltenders (like Hasek or Thomas) who seem to thrive and be effective when they are scrambling in their net to adjust to the unfolding play.... All that being said, I think some Ranger fans place far too much emphasis on Henke's glove hand and don't recognize just how good he is at taking away the lower half of the net, and how good he is at making saves on deflections and shots through traffic.... He's one of the best goaltenders in the league at doing that....An average glove hand and minimal stick-handling ability by itself does not negate how strong he is in those other aspects of his game...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-26-2011 at 01:27 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote