View Single Post
Old
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I really don't know. For one thing I don't think Martin has really put Kostitsyn in the dog house since the first season. I've read the line demotions more as putting Kostitsyn against softer opponents to pump up secondary scoring when they don't need him on a matchup line. Since they've had better depth this year Martin has run with this strategy with Kostitsyn being the player with the most consistently offensive (instead of matchup or defensive) mission after Desharnais. The current line strategy doesn't really work without a Kostitsyn or Kostitsyn equivalent forward in the lineup in order have the excellent winger depth Montreal boasts.

They seem to dearly want to be able to field a strong offensive third line to exploit the line matchup opportunities having Plekanec as the top center affords and Kostitsyn is a big part of making that possible. Regardless of personal conflict which may or may not exist I think management will want him back.

Whether or not they are willing to pony up the cash is another matter.
well, if that was the case (shuffling him down to give him easier match-ups), it failed as a coaching strategy in the most grandiose of ways...

Kost was always more productive when on the top line, and worse, he didn't take to positively to the "opportunistic demotions", or the lack-of-communication that accompanied them (as witnessed from his comments both in-season and off-season).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote