View Single Post
Old
10-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Palinka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You are kidding yourself. With the overpriced contracts most of these guys have, you'd have to beg someone to take them off your hands.
The most comparable player to someone like Antoine Vermette would be someone like Mike Fisher, who returned a first-rounder and a conditional pick. We're not talking about guys who are past their primes or never had a prime. To use Vermette as the example, the perception of him is of a 55-65 point player who can play both the PP and the PK, and will at least be doing something if he's not producing on the scoresheet. He's actually managed to do that before, so it's not a pipe dream to think that he can do it again.

You're making it sound like Todd Marchant is filling several spots in the top 12.

Quote:
Nikita Filatov and John Moore don't give me warm fuzzies about Howson's drafting skills. People like Palinka are left to pick nits with regards to Cam Fowler...while ignoring entirely that Howson was desperately trying to trade back into the first round so that he could draft him. But hey, Howson's done a swell job of finding bottom pairing defensive prospects and bottom 6 forwards to overpay for years to come.
How on earth can you refer to my assessment of Fowler as "nit-picking"? We can all agree that he's got serious offensive skill, but that's about where it ends. Would the reference to Andy Delmore as Any Elmore (no D) also be nit-picking, or is it providing an honest assessment of the limitations that will prevent him from being an NHL star? How about Phil Housley, who'd trip over his own blueline because he didn't know where it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
That being said, there are some question mark picks also. Not as bad as the McLean era, for sure ... but I will always question picking Dalton Smith when Alex Petrovic was still on the board. Perhaps it will work out - but Petrovic could be a top-4 defenseman in the NHL...something this franchise has always struggled with having.
I think I'll be long dead and buried before you leave the Alex Petrovic non-pick alone.