View Single Post
Old
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Agreed. Even if a defenseman scored a goal from a heavy shot from the blueline it's an "ugly goal" if the basis for deeming it "ugly" is that it was "lucky". Ugly goals are the bread and butter of every team. It just helps dramatically to have skilled guys who raise the chances of scoring a pretty goal here and there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
While I agree there are plenty of "lucky goals" scored where a bounce goes your way, 90% is not accurate. If that was the case, Matt Halishuk, who works hard in the low slot, would have 10% less goals than Alex Ovechkin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
What you describe isn't a ugly goal. Bergfors in Calgary is the definition of an ugly goal. Legwand's first goal in Stl was an ugly goal
No what I've always been told is the term "ugly goals" or "garbage goals" are goals that are scored in the toughest areas of the ice "where angels fear to tread". Ugly goals can be scored by anyone and the best goal scorers know how to finish off better than grinders. One of my best friends is a great goal scorer because he dominates the low slot, get him the puck down low and he can go to work, it doesn't mean he can't dangle, he can with the best of them but he scores mostly by taking out the trash.

Ugly goals does not = Lucky goals, it means the goals scored in the low slot area, redirections, deflections and rebounds.