View Single Post
Old
10-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I'll tell you why it does. Before the emergence of Pacioretty, and now the addition of Cole, we had a number of key offensive guys that are not suited for a strong forechecking game. I would argue that Plekanec's passive defending in the neutral zone is much more effective than his forechecking for example. Cammalleri nor Gionta are that strong of forecheckers, Gionta is decent though, ect. However, when you have a smaller top 6 and you apply a two man forecheck, they are probably going to lose the majority of those battles. This allows the opposing team to break out with more room in the neutral zone, making our true weakness, our bad mobility in defenders stick out. The system Martin put into place was designed to protect that weakness, rather than expose it. It is no different than how he installs a strict collapse system in the defensive zone to exemplify that strength(ie shot blocking ability and long reach) on the flip side.

I would agree that the addition of Cole, and the emergence of Pacioretty, along with having Diaz, Weber, Subban, and Emelin(and Campoli was supposed to be part of this too) has given Martin an option of being a little more liberal on the forecheck in the right circumstances.
The only defender with below average mobility is Gill...Subban Weber Diaz and Emelin are all above averge.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote