View Single Post
Old
10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Uh, since when are the Canucks worried about selling tickets? Weber is a huge, 15 goal 50-ish point defenseman on a team with limited offense. On the Canucks PP he either opens up the Sedins for a ludicrous amount of points or scores 20+ goals because he gets open shooting lanes. He would be ridiculous on this team.

I'd prefer to keep Edler and hope he develops, but Weber is unquestionably a superstar. Not only is he a good offensive player, but he's already one of the best defensive defensemen in the game, he was good enough to play defense for Team Canada, and he's only one year older than Alex Edler. The guy is an absolute stud. If it took trading Edler to get him, I think I'd do it.

Otherwise I'd trade a lot of assets for him. He's that good. He'd play 27 minutes a night, kill penalties, QB the PP, hit, fight, and do pretty much anything else you could want a #1 defenseman to do. He's like a young Chris Pronger without the giant ********* factor.
I'm a big fan of Weber but I do think his defensive game gets overrated a bit. I think he's a better version of Bieksa. An offensive defenseman that has a physical edge to his game. More offensive, more physical and less prone to mistakes but not really a cerebral defender like Pronger. I think Ryan Suter is the better player in his own zone. He can log huge minutes while skating miles. He's a tremendous passer which makes him the preferred player to start the breakout over Weber on their pairing. That being said, either defenseman would be the best blueliner on the Canucks.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote