View Single Post
Old
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I'm a big fan of Weber but I do think his defensive game gets overrated a bit. I think he's a better version of Bieksa. An offensive defenseman that has a physical edge to his game. More offensive, more physical and less prone to mistakes but not really a cerebral defender like Pronger. I think Ryan Suter is the better player in his own zone. He can log huge minutes while skating miles. He's a tremendous passer which makes him the preferred player to start the breakout over Weber on their pairing. That being said, either defenseman would be the best blueliner on the Canucks.
He might not be as cerebral on defense, but he's also 26. He should just be entering those years where he rounds that part of his game off. Even if he doesn't, paired with a Willie Mitchell/Dan Hamhuis type and playing on a puck possession team like the Canucks he'd open up so much space down low for the forwards.

I like Suter, but he's also a 4-5g 35-40 point-ish defenseman. I wonder how many of his 35 assists a year dry up if he's not feeding the puck to Shea Weber on the Power Play?

I might be bullish on Weber, but I see him as a 55-60 point defenseman playing on the Canucks PP.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote