Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Voynov to Manchester
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Nex06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Yes, he is. He was paired with Willie Mitchell. Doughty is usually paired with Willie Mitchell. Therefore he is being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty. Voynov was never paired with another Kings defenseman so the team was unable to evaluate him in that regard. If somebody else is injured and Voynov fills that player's spot well, then something must be done to ensure Voynov is with the team at all times.

Now if the team chooses to juggle pairings and find someone else that works marvelously with Doughty, they will trade somebody in favor of Voynov being paired with Mitchell.
No, I think that thought process is flawed. Coach was the one who put him with Mitchell and he is not the one who sends Voynov down. Kings didn't call Voynov up and told TM, that he needs to play with Mitchell. It could have been anyone.

The question is: if Voynov STAYED after Doughty returned, what would have been his role? If he would have been healthy scratch all the time with Doughty on the team, then yeah, you are right. If he is not healthy scratch, then no, he is not being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty.

He is being sent down in favor of Drewiske, Martinez. Some will say also Greene, but there is no way Greene is scratched under TM so I will only list players that have been healthy scratches so far.

BTW I think that this "Voynov can only replace Doughty" statements - we have heard them from Jim Fox as well - are nothing but ridiculous. If he really is NHL defenseman, he can play at any position, from #3 to #6 defenseman.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote