View Single Post
Old
10-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
That would be purely speculative narrative of course. No one knows definitively one way or the other that the NHL would use TNSE's $60M relo fee to pay down its LOC & thus discount the sale price on the Coyotes. Sixty million divided by 29 teams doesnt amount to much more than about $2M & change each. If it helps to expedite the sale of the franchise I rather doubt the BOG's would object. For all intensive purposes' it was "found money", not something thats part of the regular revenue streams. Finally, the other 29 teams have not been dipping into their own pockets to prop-up the Coyotes beyond the normal revenue sharing contributions they'd be making regardless.
Since you are one of those that has continued the narrative from its illogical beginnings, your defense of it is hardly shocking.

If you consider 2 million plus per franchise to be found money, that is your prerogative I suppose. I understand the meaning of your usage of the term, but it still results in money thrown away if it is allocated to ease a sale price in Phoenix. It does nothing to solve the problem, which are the losses taken on the daily operation of the franchise, not the purchase price. To use a fractured analogy, paying less for beef cattle (for example) does not discount the fact that at the end of the day one is still purchasing cattle. Paying less per animal enables one to carry it a bit longer, but the end destination for the animal remains the same.

To all intents and purposes, why should revenue sharing money be destined to be wasted annually in Phoenix when it could be applied more effectively elsewhere? Surely many of the franchises would rather that revenue be invested wisely rather than simply thrown down a hole with zero hope of any future return?

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 10-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.