View Single Post
Old
10-29-2011, 02:43 PM
roccerfeller
whiteout bromantic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Shortly before Jerry Moyes declared Bankruptcy, the NHL increased its Line of Credit (I believe with Bank America) from app. $70M to $250M. They used those credit facilities to buy the Coyotes and have been using them ever since to cover losses over & above the $25M provided by the COG. Whats not clear is whether or not they receive Revenue Sharing as clearly they dont reach the thresholds in terms of Seasons Ticket Subscribers.

Gumps' & Fugu's assertions that the individual owners are actually paying the freight are erroneous. This is on Bettmans head. If he cant sell the team locally, then he'll have to sell them for relo and I guess we know where & to whom unless there is truth to the rumors that Levin might be waiting in the wings out in Seattle. Either way, the leagues nut will be covered.

Fugu also raises an interesting point with respect to NBC & the potential fallout the loss of Phoenix, on the heels of Atlanta might cause with respect to their contract with the NHL. Youve' just gotta figure they wouldnt be impressed, though whether or not the fee's would decrease is questionable.

Yes, I wonder too what implications this would serve.

One should keep in mind, that although in Atlanta's case they do not have a home NHL team anymore, and in Phoenix's case they potentially might not any more, the Preds I believe now have broadcast rights in Atlanta correct?

So technically, that region still has broadcast rights...assuming Phoenix were to move, another team might claim the Phoenix region for broadcast rights.

NBC was not stupid when they made that deal; they knew which markets had low viewership; very likely they had access to that information prior to a deal being consummated

Thus, it might not be as big a deal as it seems.

Sure Atlanta and Phoenix are huge media markets, but NBC has broadcast rights for NHL hockey and these markets thus far are minuscule compared to others like Detroit, Boston, New York, Chicago, Buffalo etc...specifically regarding NHL.

My point being, NHL seems to be niche in these markets, so another NHL team claiming broadcast rights should a team relocate, isn't a huge issue ultimately to NBC as it doesn't change the small viewership numbers very much...unlike if say the Bruins or Wings had to relocate.

The main negative thing, for NBC, I can see is the team moving to Canada - outside of their region.

Then there are other factors; is there a positive monetary turnout with low viewership? Would it really matter then to NBC should Phoenix also leave?

Not to derail the thread or anything...but that point is interesting.