View Single Post
Old
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
It's so easy to stand here, behind a computer, and do revisionist history, and claim that you wouldn't have done the same mistake as the GM because you know so much about hockey.

Here are the facts that we know about the coaching hirings.

-Jacques Martin was hired almost a month before Guy Boucher.

-Jacques Martin was the GM of another team.

-Jacques Martin belongs has been in the NHL as a coach or has a GM for a long time.

-His coaching stats are good. He did some great work with the Sens back in the late 90's, early 2000's.

-Boucher had never coached a professional team at that point in his career.

From this, here are some logical links we can draw:

-Boucher was not ready to coach in the NHL. The fact that he accepted an AHL coaching gig points toward him not getting any NHL offers. The Habs were no better/worse than any team for not hiring him in the NHL right away.

-As mentioned above, firing Martin one year into his four years contract was not something doable. The Canadiens were already paying for Carbo, and anyway, Martin looked good in the previous season overall.

-Since Martin already had a good NHL job, prying him away from that other team required good numbers. That's probably why he got the contract he did.

-Martin's hiring reflected everything most Habs fans wanted at the time, after the failed Carbonneau experiment: a lot of experience behind the bench.

Say what you want about Martin, call him the worst coach of all time, but the fact that NHL executives are giving him job after job tells me that he belongs where he is. It's really hard to truly gauge the quality of a coach's job from the television. We don't have access to the dressing room, we don't know exactly what's going on... So when you say "Martin is a terrible coach", you don't really know what you are talking about it. It's your opinion, and you base it on speculation.

As for Boucher, I'd love to have him in the organization. I'd rather have him as a coach right now than Martin, if only because I've heard so many good things about the guy, but let's not make him to be the greatest NHL coach of all time. His team is struggling while being more talented than the Canadiens. Plus, as it has been mentioned many times, the timing was just not there. It sucks, but it is what it is. No need to dwell into it and make it the turning point where the Habs lost all hope of ever making it to the SCF. Gauthier is not responsible for losing Boucher. And our coaching situation is not as grim as some would lead you to believe.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote