Thread: SCSU Huskies
View Single Post
Old
10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
10/29: Huskies vs. Sioux

I had a chance to see this game, so I finally got my first look at SCSU. The game was actually quite entertaining, so here are some of my thoughts on the Huskies. Feel free to comment.

IMO, the Huskies' best period was the second. Really created some good scoring opportunities and they really matched UND's intensity. Two things that I felt really led to the Huskies' loss were their turnovers and penalties. Some of the calls may be disputed, but give the Sioux credit, they did what they had to do to win.

I thought Faragher played really well. I was sorry to hear that Lee went down with an injury, and even more to hear that he could be done for the season, let's hope not. It looked like he was just beginning to hit his stride when he went down.

I like the fact that Hanowski is starting to add some grit to his game. I think in the long run, this is going to make him a much better player. He already has the tools to be a top player, adding the grit factor IMO just makes him more dangerous.

I also liked seeing Gravel getting more involved offensively, although I seriously doubt that he'll put up Justin Schultz-type of numbers. Nevertheless, it's always good to get some offense from your defense.

Two players that really stood out to me as far as their play throughout the game were Zabkowitz and Rabey. I thought both did a really good job of going up against the Sioux's top players. If they weren't shutting them down, they did a nice job of making things difficult for them. Rabey made a couple of mistakes, but nothing that I would deem glaring and nothing that can't be fixed.

Leblanc continues to impress me a lot. And what I like most about watching him is that he's not just creating scoring opportunities, he's blocking shots and helping out the defense too. IMO, this is one reason why NHL teams are looking at him closely. He's a really smart player and more often than not, he makes the right decisions....with and without the puck. His game isn't always flashy, but it's effective. Drew certainly isn't one-dimensional and I think those in the scouting community and around college hockey who've seen him play know that.

Finally, the two things that SCSU does really well, but needs to do more consistently is utilize their speed and puck-pressure for 60 minutes. In the past, when they've done that for all or much of the game, they were successful.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote