View Single Post
Old
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
actually, the examples you gave are saying the opposite... a few failures (for whatever reason) vs Weber who played half the season or so last year and is starting his first full this year... while being decent defensively and good offensively...
??? What I am saying is that those guys had star potential written all over them, and they fell apart, or fell short when given the chances...

For other references, on Barrie, there's Volchkov (Barrie's first superstar, drafted by Washington, and went back to Russia, cause he wasnt making it here) Dennis Shvidki (from their first memorial cup run, he was a high grade sniper, first rounder for Florida... Had size, speed and skill... I think his career total is 12 games.

Other guys who had promise, and lots of believers, were Skoula (best of the lot,but in Barrie, he was expected to be an all-star NHL defenceman), Sheldon Keefe, Mike Danton (who was Mike Jefferson back then). They were part of that great team they iced about a decade ago.

Or how about one of the more tragic OHL flops of all time? Brian Fogarty. The guy was expected to be the next Bobby Orr. He even made the really bad Nordique team @ 18. He developed a drinking problem, and busted out, before being found dead in his home. If I remember, it was a drinking related death.

What I am saying is that there were a whole lot of sure fire NHL'ers, and even potential stars... In truth, the fact that he made it as an NHL regular is a great thing for his career. If he's rounding in to form... That's great. But I have to agree that he's rounding in to his peak form, and wont be much more than what we see now. He's had a heck of a time trying to establish himself as a defenceman. IMO he'll get to perhaps a top 4 (second pairing d-man) with support with him.
His defence is still suspect, yes he's playing well... He's played well in spurts before. He's gotta keep it up for much longer than he has to date before he can be said that he is a top 4 defenceman.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote