View Single Post
Old
11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Campoli: why would Montreal trade for a guy that's 3x more expensive, locked into a long-term deal, arguably worse this season, and give the Canucks a 1st to help them get out from under that contract? Maybe if we gave them a 2nd and Ballard they might take the contract off our hands and give us Campoli.

Perhaps because Ballard is a better player? I still think he is. He's not a fit here, but he brings more offensively to the table than Campoli does _and_ he plays a more abrasive style.

Quote:
Kostitsyn: Why would they trade a 20g50p 26 year old forward for an albatross contract? We would be paying them for the extra years, not the other way. Not only that, but the Habs need more scoring, not less.

If the Canucks trade Ballard it's either as part of a salary in a moving parts deal (ie: the Canucks are taking 6 million back in a trade and need to stay compliant) or as part of a salary dump so they can take on salary somewhere else. I don't see them getting a ton of value now that he's started this season as poorly as last.

Kostitsyn is in Martin's doghouse. Taken off the PP, and there are rumblings of hate between him and coach. And they are searching for D help now and into the future.

I think one important point needs to be made here: The NHL right now is money rich, not asset rich. There isn't enough talent to go around. A rising cap and good cap management by the richer teams has lead to a dearth of talent making it to UFA every year. So despite all of Ballard's struggles here, I have full confidence he still has value. He will not be a salary dump.

Take St.Louis for example. They have Kent Huskins as a top pairing Dman with Pietrangelo... Think about that for a moment. Montreal, they have Markov and Weber as the only dmen signed next year. They have to sign everyone else, including Subban. To be sure, they reason they even signed Campoli was their uncertainty on defense this year, and he's been out of the line-up with an injury. Assuming they sign Subban and Gorges to healthy raises, who are the other top 4s? Markov certainly cannot be relied upon.

I know Ballard has not been doing well here, but he has a history before coming to Vancouver. Teams have seen him play before he's come into this situation, and GMs have longer memories than fans might. He won't be a salary dump IMO.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote