View Single Post
Old
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I don't think Murphy is even a lock. He hasn't been terribly impressive without Akeson and Landeskog. 5 assists in 8 games isn't that great for a guy who's all offense.
As someone who has seen every single Murphy game this year, I should say that he has been generally quite good. He has suffered a bit of the typical slow start after returning from the NHL. They all go through that for about a month.

But it's not that he relied on Akeson and Landeskog per se. Any offensive defenceman relies on offensive forwards period to rack up points. Someone has to finish. Kitchener is painfully devoid of offensive talent up front. So on Murphy's patented rushes, no one is going to the net to finish. And on the PP, he has a guy in his face all night as he's the only real threat, so it's an obvious game plan.

He still skates so well that his D is very solid and he is giving opponents fits with his puck carrying. The points will be tougher to come by though given the make-up of the team.

Given his international background and his obvious skill set, I'd have to think he's a virtual lock, but you never know.