View Single Post
Old
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I'm sure that almost all of you will be smiles and giggles over this. Good for you, but forgive me for not joining the party.

However, I will offer RyJo congrats.

Welcome to the Nationwide Arena Country Club, Ryan.

Welcome to a place where the pay is high and the expectations are low.

Welcome to a town where those fans who still care enough to go to the games will worship you and your teammates like rock stars, even though their team has won barely more than one out of every three games in its existence. Those fans really do deserve better than what they are getting, but it’s not like anybody is putting a gun to their head and forcing them to buy those tickets, right?

Welcome to an organization that has absolutely no vision as to what kind of team it wants to be. The beauty of that is that nobody will call you out for underperforming since there’s no standard to live up to.

Welcome to a team on which you can take game after game off and it’s the coach who gets the axe, not you. How cool is that?

Welcome to a team where players are paid on long term contracts based on their potential, not actual performance. The worst case scenario is that you’ll be bought out of your contract, which means that in the end that you’ll likely end up with about the same amount of money (or more) after the buyout than what the other 29 teams would have paid you to sign with them in the first place. You say that’s too good to be true? Of course not; just ask Mike Commodore.

Welcome to a town where all games against Pittsburgh are road games, even though some may be played at Nationwide. That may sound confusing now but, trust me, you’ll understand the first time the Pens come to town this season.

Welcome to a team where even if you are the least-talented player, sooner or later you will get a chance to play on the first line with Nash only because the coach is often times that desperate to find a line combination that works.

Welcome to a town where the local media sets a higher performance standard for an 18 year old football player than your team’s highest paid player. If you play a stinker of a game, the hacks in the morning paper will likely just say that the puck didn’t bounce your way the night before and leave it at that. It’s nice to have some folks to cover your back when you don’t deserve it, huh?

A couple of important things to remember:

It may become annoying after awhile when opposing arenas play the Mickey Mouse Club theme song when your team takes the ice, but you’ll get used to it. If anything, think about those nice vacations to Disney World you’ll be able to take your family to every April, May and June in the years to come.

Also, if at any point you feel as if you’re in over your head being in the NHL, don’t worry. You will have plenty of company since everyone else in the org, from the team president on down, is in way over their head as well. Take comfort in that.

You’ve worked hard all your life to get to this point and make to the NHL with Columbus, Ryan. Congratulations; it doesn’t get any better than this.
Matt- I want to take this post to a fancy restaurant, wine it and dine it, then carry it across the threshold in my bedroom and ravish it for hours.... Hell, I might even put a ring on it.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote