View Single Post
Old
11-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Crazy as it may sound, but I don't see it being a matter of competition among them.
Murray and Hjalmar stays at home for me, Hedman and Kronwall not so much.
In other words, Kronwall and Hedman is in competition for spots with Erik Karlsson and Tallinder, and from what I've seen so far, I'll take Erik Karlsson over Hedman any day of the week, and I prefer Tallinder over Kronwall, for the reasons I posted before.

Murray is a rock back on D (one that make the opponents hesitate). He sees the ice and is already in position before the plays are ever made. Very intelligent player, and a pillar on the PP. People don't give him enough credit for his offense, but he consistently makes sound and patient choices with or without the puck. Can you imagine him backing up the Sedins with his little chips down and around the boards to start the cycle everytime the puck comes sliding out.

Edler might be the best all-around D-man we have right now (yes, I said it) and can drop the hammer like nobody else on the PP.

Hjalmarsson makes very few mistakes, if any, and you can pair him up with anybody, as he reads the game so well, and has so much skill to go with his brains that he solves almost anything thrown at him.

Enström is like Hjalmarsson but a tad bit smaller.

Tallinder has wheels like a fwd and eyes in his damn neck. There are times when I wish he'd let go of the puck a tad bit sooner, but then again, he rarely commits any bad turnovers, and I don't recall last time I saw him get overplayed.

Erik Karlsson (almost forgot) is the next GREAT defenseman we'll have in the NHL. I know there are some young pups that'll give him a run for his money on that, and we may have more than one guy who'll be great, but for now, Karlsson is rising.

Who of these gents should take a backseat to Hedman or Kronwall, I don't know, and for a #7D, I want a tight and seasoned DD, not another skilled OD, like Hedman.
Ok Ribban, I respect your opinion. Thats some interesting insight of some of the D's in the west that I don't see a ton of. I see these guys a little diffrently.

On Murray, natrually I really like him. But I definitely think that he is pretty immobile. If we were talking about picking a team for 82+ games, Id think he was more interesting for a top 6 spot -- but in best of 1 games I just think he brings too little defensively to warrent a spot (like when he gets behind he gets behind by alot for sure).

On Hjalmarsson, I just don't think he has a high enough skill-level to compete with someone like Enström. I definitely don't think he is like Enström while being better defensively.

On Enström, I think he is fantastic with the puck and IMO he is solidly establishing himself as a very good nr 1 D in the NHL. I hesitation I would have as regard him on a WC team is that he is a player who needs a solid amount of ice time to play his game.

On Tallinder, I definitely think that he can fill a defensive role. His size and reach is very valuble, he moves well. I am not a big fan of him, but undoubtedly is a good player who is very valuble to have if for example a team like Canada throws out 3 forwarsd on the ice 6'2 and bigger.

On Hedman, like with Tallinder, his size is also valuble. He is rough around the edges still, but improving fast and in 12 months -- I think he beats out the competition clearly.

On Edler, I agree with to some extent. I would change my top 6 and put him in it for sure. But, I do not think that he is like that good (our best D). You need to be very careful when you compare a D who plays on a great team with a D who plays in a less stabile environemnt. Very very careful. I am a Ranger fan, and I can guarantee you that if Edler played for the Rangers like nobody would have him in the top 6 (which probably would be unfair). And its basically the same for Hedman in Tamapa, at team that also looses alot if pucks in the wrong areas of the ice.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote