View Single Post
Old
11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
GmC

vCash: 500
Inn at the Forks would probably give you the most bang for your buck in terms of things to do. You can see the Forks, go for a skate on a frozen river. Try toboganning down an ice slide. Walk to our French Quarters: St.Boniface.

If you want to stay warm, I truly suggest Delta and Radisson as good choices. As mentioned earlier they are connected to the arena and both are safe choices. Radisson is connected via a skywalk to MTSC, Delta has more amenities.

As for being a tour guide seeing as you're from California and this being a hockey trip:

1. Play shinny on an outdoor rink. See the game at its purest level. Just bring your skates/sticks or buy some cheap ones from Canadian Tire/SportChek if you don't skate that often. If you want to go even cheaper you can buy some used ones at Play it Again Sports (St.Anne's Road) or Source for Sports (Pembina). Both are far though and not worth it. My suggestion is to goto Polo Park shopping mall and just get some gear at Sport Chek. One of Canada's biggest Hockey equipment chains is across the street Pro Hockey Life and has only been open for 1 year. It is a mecca for hockey gear and impressive.

Some good shinny rinks are Bronx (off of Henderson about a 8 min drive from downtown) and Robert A Steen (about a 5 min drive). Bronx is newly renovated and has IIRC 4 rinks open and has a great facility for you to dress/keep warm. Dress in layers!

2. Have a poutine. Pretty Canadian. You'll find some stands at the MTSC serving some but there is a pretty unique chain called Smoke's Poutenerie in our Exchange District on Princess. There you will have a choice of different Poutines.

3. Take in a junior game MMJHL games such as the St.James Canadians play out of the Jets practice facility at the end of Portage Avenue (about a 20 min drive). Check their schedule.

4. Visit a Salisbury House. Hardly the best food but it is the equivalent of a greasy spoon diner. Walk to the one on the Esplanade Bridge from your hotel at Inn on the Forks. Have a coffee and Red Velvet Cake. It destroys anyone from New York.

Post and let me know what other foods/activities you're into. I'll try and hook you up. I'll also buy you a beer at the Sharks game, just let me know where you're sitting!

GmC is offline   Reply With Quote