View Single Post
Old
11-03-2011, 11:54 PM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I just think they would want them in LA more than Minnesota.
I don't think the NFL is in any hurry to axe a top-15, affluent, Fortune-500 ridden market from its portfolio. Especially one with a storied history and a regional identity.

That's not to say they're going to blockade a move if the state gives them the shaft. But I think the NFL would be more than happy to see the Vikes get a deal done in Minnesota, hold LA over the heads of the last handful of markets that haven't erected football palaces, and then top everything off with a Jags/Rams/Raiders move to LA (or possibly another round of multi-billion dollar expansion fees).

If the Vikings move, I have a feeling the league will require ownership to keep the name (and hopefully history) in Minnesota for the reincarnate, much like what they did with the Browns. The name has too much equity in this region. I'm not sure why this didn't happen with Houston, but I think it was a mistake. That franchise deals with the same "when are we going to change our name back..." question that the Wild have been unable to shake after 11 years.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote