View Single Post
Old
11-04-2011, 09:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Briere struggled last night, he wasn't 100% returning from the injury.

The D continues to be inconsistent and indecisiveness is an obvious concern.

Meltzer has a good column on last night's plusses and minuses.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...11411/45/39442
These two points rile me up the most...Lavy especially. I'm really not impressed with him overall this season and since the 2nd half of last season. The Boston series he was in full retard mode with his decisions...

Quote:
* Defending Barry Ashbee Trophy winner Meszaros has been one of the team's biggest disappointments in the early going. His positional play and puck management have been questionable in all three zones. In addition, right now, he couldn't shoot a puck from the point into the Delaware River. Even when he has a wide open shot and a good angle, everything is going wide.

Quote:
Peter Laviolette's game management last night left a whole lot to be desired. I'm not blaming the coach for the outcome of the game, but I don't think his personnel management last night was very good, either in the short-term perspective of the game or the bigger picture.

I know why he overused the top forward line and Timonen -- there was no real other choice with others banged up and so many defensemen struggling. But a) the team is in the midst of three-game-in-four night stretch, and b) doing that has a cumulative effect during the season, especially on an aging defenseman like Timonen.

There were opportunities to spread some minutes around, and Laviolette didn't do it. In particular, I didn't understand his use of Sean Couturier at all, either. He was one of the team's better players every time he hit the ice, and he only played 11:34 total. In the first two periods combined, Laviolette used Couturier for a total of 3:50 at even strength. Did the coach simply forget about him, especially during the second period? Suddenly, in the 3rd period and overtime, Couturier was out there a lot.

thought Rinaldo earned himself a few extra shifts -- at least early in 3rd pd -- but the bench was shortened in the middle of a three-game in four night stretch. The Flyers never trailed in this game and only had to kill three penalties. So you can roll four lines a little bit more. When supporting players like Rinaldo plays 2:24 and Jody Shelley plays 1:16 (three shifts) in the second of back-to-back games, the veteran players can end up with no legs by the end of the second game.

Last but not least, I didn't understand why the coach picked Simmonds over Jagr for the shootout, Simmonds' preseason shootout success notwithstanding. On the one hand, you have a future Hall of Famer who has been red-hot of late. On the other, you have a role player who has been struggling. Which guy would YOU want to have shooting?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote