View Single Post
Old
11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Can professional hockey work in Columbus?

Greetings all,

Long time watcher of the boards, but it wasn't until last night that I felt angry enough to actually sign up for an account and post.

The start of this season has been very disheartening after such an exciting offseason, and it has me wondering if professional hockey can even work in Columbus.

Now hear me out before you jump on me: CBus has had this team for 11 years. One of those seasons has been full of competitive hockey, and even in that season, all we got was a #7 seed that led to us being swept in the playoffs. We've rebuilt not only this roster but this organization three times already, with a fourth rebuild likely on the way. No one goes to the games unless we're playing the Red Wings or the Penguins, and those turn into away games for the CBJ. So with this all in mind, I ask you to answer me this:

What proof do we have that professional hockey at the NHL level can work long-term in Columbus?

I know most of you will say the 2009 season, but like I said, that was still only a #7 seed and a playoff sweep. By Blue Jackets standards, that was successful, but not by actual NHL standards.

My fear is that I'm right and that the city, which as proven by attendance and TV ratings, is the issue.

Anyone have any answers? I cannot explain how frustrated I am.