View Single Post
Old
11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
HockeyBurd*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It's an extreme example, but it puts things in perspective (hopefully) for the fans who think his career is over.

Personally, I think both Crosby and Staal are fine. It's the societal shift in how head injuries are classified and treated that is keeping them on the shelf.
It doesn't really make anybody feel better. Marc Staal is no Pat LaFontaine. He's not going to have any type of monster seasons in between concussion riddled seasons that are going to ease anybody's feelings. And a Marc Staal whose game is limited by loominng concussion problems is not going to be nearly as effective as an offensive super talent like LaFontaine. Not to mention that if LaFontaine was playing in today's environment, he would have played less as a result of increased caution (to his benefit as per his own opinions on the subject).

The upside of Marc Staal is that of a steady and reliable defensive anchor. Durability and longevity is kind of the point. I don't know how often it happens that a player has this kind of long term problems and then goes on to be relatively free of these symptoms and has a long and durable career. But I sure hope that's the case here. It would be a devastating blow to the "rebuilding" otherwise.