View Single Post
Old
11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
What about Esa Lindell? Big dman with impressive stats. I haven't seen him so I got nothing but I hope you could tell something about him.
Here’s what I wrote about him earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I have only seen one Jr.A game from Jokerit so far this season, but based on that game he still has plenty of work to do at that level as well, especially defensively. Like with many top Finnish 94-born defensemen, his skating needs work; lateral / backwards movement, footwork and overall coordination for example. Looked really tired at the end of some long shifts and had some trouble getting off the ice, I imagine that he’s still adapting to the level of play and the ice time he’s receiving. Unable to keep up with his man on several occasions, he was in trouble with speedy and shifty opponents. He was also levelled by a smaller opponent in front of his own net, that lead to a dangerous situation. In some situations his awareness / reading of the play wasn’t the best possible, which lead to some bad decisions, especially defensively (bad positioning).

On the other hand there were some good plays as well, like taking initiative; jumping on an open lane and rushing the puck through the zones, using his reach to his advantage in a defensive situation, giving some good passes (one of them lead to a goal on power play), intercepting a wide around puck close to the boards while pressured and delivering it quickly to the net after taking a few lateral steps from the point. He also scored a goal on power play with a simple low wrister, it took quite some time for him to get the puck under control and he had to take a look at his feet. For some reason the defending player didn’t close the gap, so Lindell had plenty of time/room to get the shot off, eventually the goalie slipped it in easily.

His stats might be slightly inflated by the fact that he’s playing in one of the highest scoring teams in the league, and his defensive shortcomings might become more visible in a weaker team with not so good supporting players. He has the most minuses in his team (-12), which isn’t bad considering that he gets so much ice time, but it’s not great either when compared to Terävinen’s (-1) in 9 games with almost similar ice time.

I’m hoping to see Jokerit again next month, so hopefully I’ll have a better picture of his game and possible draft chances then. At the moment I'd say that he's a possible late round pick, but I retain the right to change my mind later on, once I see him playing more. Central Scouting’s preliminary rankings should be out in November as well, it'll be interesting to see how they rank him in comparison to other Finns. It seemed that the U18 national team coaches relied more on Pokka, Vainonen, Ristolainen and Lehtonen at the Hlinka Memorial Tournament, so I imagine that they didn’t see Lindell as the most reliable option. It remains to be seen if he manages to rise in that pecking order as the season advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Do you expect more Top 60 selections than last year? I was rather suprised Granlund and Ruutu were taken so high.

Do we have any vague calculations for how players will get drafted this year? Eliteprospects is seemingly not working right now so i can't remember the exact figures, but i think it was something like 9 taken two years, 12 taken last year?
Määttä, Teräväinen and Pokka seem like players who should have a good chance of going in the first two rounds, at least if the overall quality of this year’s draft is similar to last year. I like Vainonen, but he might be closer to a 3rd/4th rounder at the moment, just speculation.

Last year 10 Finns were drafted. It’s hard to say what that number will be this year. There are a decent number of players who are borderline draft prospects and therefore the scale could tip to either direction. It should be a bit easier to make a prediction at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I continued Tormentor's list, and this is what I think the draft could look like for Finland:

1. D – Olli Määttä (London Knights)
2. F – Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
3. D – Ville Pokka (Kärpät)
4. D – Mikko Vainonen (HIFK)
5. F – Henri Ikonen (KalPa)
6. F - Kalle Torniainen (HIFK)
7. D - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS)
8. D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)
9. F - Joel Mustonen (Skellefteå)
10.G - Jean Auren
11.G - Joonas Korpisalo
12.D - Petteri Lindbohm
Would be nice to get an update on Torniainen, is he once again injured?

Lehtonen is a tad small for a defenseman and doesn’t have exceptional puck skills or skating ability. Overall he’s a fine player and I feel that he could develop into a SM-liiga defenseman, but I’m not fully confident about his NHL potential at this point.

The goalie situation is a bit of a mystery for me. Who’s the top dog, is it Auren, Kiviaho, Korpisalo or perhaps Setänen who has been injured for a long time?