Thread: Slovakia: Marko Daňo
View Single Post
Old
11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Nice to hear he's showing that kind of ability. The game I saw him really wasn't the best to assess his talents as the Slovak team really, really struggled.

There really haven't been many Slovak players with Dano's talent level who've stayed in Slovakia at his age in the recent past. The only player I can think of is Tatar. When he was Dano's age he played exclusively in juniors so it would seem safe to assume Dano is more advanced at the same point in development.

I do hope that he makes the U20 team for the world juniors as it will be the only major international tournament he'll be able to participate in this year (assuming he doesn't make the mens team, which seems unlikely).
I don´t the comparison with Tatar is a good one since Tatar was kind of a late bloomer and also as far a I can remember it were amongst other things also SZĽH regulations that prevented him from getting some Extraliga time earlier- at this point of time he was still contracted to his youth team Dubnica and played in Trenčín on loan, and except for Trenčín´s Jr. and U18 teams he also played for Dubnica´s U18 team in the lower division in order to help them achieve promotion to the U18 Extraliga and therefore couldn´t play the men´s Extraliga.

I think the only player that came close lately was Wings prospect Marek Tvrdoň who got a few games with Nitra in the 09/10 season. He would have played in the league as an 17/18 year old had he not chosen to go to the WHL.

I don´t really think there´s much to compare with, I´m not even sure whether any forward actually played a whole season in the league the year before his draft year, which Daňo most probably will. Gabby only played 33 regular season and 3 play-off games and the only other guy playing that young I could dig up was Tvrdoň´s cousin Štefan Ružička, who got 19 games for Nitra in 01/02 season. But that´s all 10 years ago anyway.

Well, I´m hoping to see him make the WJC roster as well, talented young centers have always been rare in Slovak hockey, even in much better times than in these. Forgetting the age thing based just on poor talent- Tvrdoň-Daňo-Jurčo could ba an even more talented line than Tatar- Viedenský-Pánik used to be. But I doubt we´ll see them play together. As for the men´s NT considering the recent politics of the selection he will have to wait about two decades to get selected.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote