View Single Post
Old
11-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yeah, what few realize is that if we hadn't signed Gomez and then used him to acquire McDonagh, we would not have been able to trade away Rosie, which means we would have a very hard time signing Brad Richards. I don't see it happening if Rosie is getting paid $5 instead of $1 for McD.

So the signing of Gomez not only got us McDonagh and Prust, but also Richards.
The Rosie trade only gained us $1.2m on the cap since Wolski makes $3.8m. The Rangers started this year $1.6m under the season Cap and ended the summer $1.242m under the summer cap. Plus, they signed Rupp over the off-season too, which was unnecessary. They could've afforded Richards without moving Rosie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
Why did Montreal trade mcd did they not realize he was good?
People often forget these things on here in regards to prospects, especially when they start fulfilling their potential. Like others mentioned, he was passed in Montreal's depth chart. But also, there was a sense that McDonagh's development was diffuse. One month he's a two-way D, one month he's an offensive D, one month he's a defensive D, etc, etc. Players like that are hard to project. He was still that way when he got traded here. However, what ended up happening was Wisconsin having a great season his junior year and him gaining a ton of confidence. Couple that with the fact that the Rangers whole organization is excellent at taking talented D and making them very good all-around D (I mean seriously, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, and Sauer are all basically the same D with different levels of skill, and this is why I have a lot of hope for Erixon)... McD was in a very good situation coming in last year. The time in Hartford really served to give him a ton of focus and his game developed apace.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote